Award-winning rapper Eminem has joined the Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC), purchase one of the non-fungible token (NFT) monkeys Thursday on the OpenSea platform for 123.45 ether, or nearly $ 462,000.
- Eminem quickly made the monkey, who wears a military-style brown hat, hip hop clothing and a dazed expression, his Twitter Profile picture.
- The native of Detroit acquired about 20 NFTs on OpenSea under the name Shady_Holdings. Eminem, who Rolling Stone Magazine named one of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, won the 2002 Oscar for Best Original Song, and won 15 Grammy Awards in a career dating back to the 1980s.
- In a tweet, BAYC member GeeGazza, who sold the monkey, thanked the artist for purchasing the NFT. “I live in a simulation,” he wrote, adding, “Madness. Let me write the lyrics for your next single. GeeGazza had been hoping for months that the artist would buy the monkey.
I live in a simulation.
Thank you @Eminem for buying my monkey and joining the club!
Madness. Let me write a lyric in your next single pic.twitter.com/myGNRmMLeD
– GeeGazza (@Gee__Gazza) December 31, 2021
- Georgio Constantinou, artist manager of the digital agency Web 3 Six tweeted that the company had helped Eminem buy the “EminApe”.
- Eminem’s interest in NFTs isn’t his first contact with crypto. In 2018, bitcoins is mentioned on “Not Alike”, one of the tracks from his album “Kamikaze”.
- BAYC was among the biggest sellers on OpenSea, helping to pilot its most recent $ 10 billion valuation.