While several states have decided to reopen universities and colleges, the University Grants Commission (UGC) in line with the process of gradually opening the lockdown, has issued guidelines for the reopening of universities and colleges across the nation. ALSO READ | Punjab Govt Allows Colleges, Universities to Reopen From November 16; Know What The Order States
The new academic session is going on and the universities and colleges need a customized plan, as per the local conditions where they are located, to deal with any eventuality arising due to the COVID-19 before resuming activities on campuses.
Therefore, the body has framed guidelines which provide in detail the measures to be taken before re-opening of campus. In an official release issued today, the UGC said the guidelines may be adopted by the institutions as per the local conditions and directives of the government authorities.
Generic Preventive Measures
- Physical distancing of at least 6 feet to be followed as far as feasible.
- Use of face covers / masks to be made mandatory.
- Frequent hand washing with soap (for at least 40-60 seconds) even when hands are not visibly dirty. Use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers (for at least 20 seconds) can be done wherever feasible.
- Respiratory etiquettes to be strictly followed. This involves strict practice of covering one’s mouth and nose while coughing / sneezing with a tissue / handkerchief / flexed elbow and disposing of used tissues properly.
- Self-monitoring of health by all and reporting any illness at the earliest.
- Spitting shall be strictly prohibited.
- Installation & use of Aarogya Setu App shall be advised wherever feasible.
Measures Required before Re-Opening of Campuses
- Before reopening of any campus, the Central or the concerned State Government
must have declared the area safe for reopening of educational institutions.
- The universities and colleges have to make adequate arrangements to ensure the safety and health of students, faculty and staff.
- The universities and colleges shall be allowed to open only if they are outside the containment zones.
- The faculty, staff and students of the university and college should be encouraged to download ‘Aarogya Setu App’.
- The Colleges / Higher Education Institutions outside the containment zones may be opened in a graded manner after consultations with concerned State / UT Governments and subject to adherence to the guidelines / SOP for safety and health protocol prepared by UGC.
Safety Measures at Entry / Exit Point (s)
- Adequate arrangements of thermal scanners, sanitizers, face masks should be made available at all entry and exit points, including the reception area.
- Crowding must be avoided at entry / exit points. Staggered timings of entry and exit with limited strength for different programmes should be followed.
- For ensuring queue management, inside and outside the premises, specific markings on the floor with a gap of 6 feet may be made and be adhered to.
- In case the institution has more than one gate for entry / exit, all the gates should be used, with adequate care, to avoid crowding.
- Monitoring of the entry and exit of the students should be done.
- Screening of students, faculty and staff, wearing of face covers / mask, sanitizing of hands etc. must be ensured at all entry points.
- Those having symptoms of fever, cough or difficulty in breathing should not be allowed to enter.
Education Loan Information:
Calculate Education Loan EMI